There are many consequences that will come to bear on any individual that is charged with a misdemeanor or felony DUI in the state of California and more locally here in San Diego County. These consequences can and will affect you and your life immediately and also long term as well.
There are obvious consequences with being charged in California with a DUI. The individual will face:
- Jail time of not less than 96 hours and no more than 60 days for a first offense.
- A minimum monetary fine of $390.00 ranging up to but not exceeding $1000.00.
- Drivers license suspended for minimum of 4-6 months to up to 24 months for more habitual traffic offenders.
- Probation of 3 to 5 years.
- Mandatory First Offenders Classes and Community service.
All of these charges, fines and suspensions vary but this is typical for any offender charged.
Now what is not thought of is the other consequences of a DUI. There are many other consequences that will affect the lives of the offender for days/weeks/months/and even years to come.
- Rises in or failure to be insured. Life, Health and Automobile insurance.
- Have to disclose conviction on any employment application.
- If you are in a profession where you must maintain a licensure to perform your job that license may be withheld, or revoked
- In some jobs where there is a morals clause in the contract the individual may be terminated
- If in Military your career may be ruined or over and even any chances of advancedment denied.
- Security clearances if needed for job may be denied or terminated with conviction on record.
Your credit score may be affected
- Denied rentals in more trendy areas because you are thought of as a “high risk”.
- If student in University may be sanctioned from attending classes for a semester or more.
- Ability to rent car in US or abroad denied
- Travel restrictions may occur and some countries will outright deny entry because of DUI conviction
This is just a short list of many possible consequences of a DUI conviction. In order to avoid all of this an experienced and proven DUI lawyer here in San Diego County is critical if you want any chance of successfully challenging your conviction and increasing your chances of not suffering from any of the horrifying ramifications of a conviction.